Friday, March 7, 2014

Oh Yeah, I Like Trains Too - New Layout Started

I was nearing crisis mode there for a moment.... no posts for a almost a month, more trucks than I can shake a stick at, and over a year without a layout of any kind.  Well, I am back on track tonight, with a generous dose of layout construction to tame my N scale addiction.

I decided on a 3'x8' footprint this time, with a 6" extension on part of the front.  This will allow me to fit it easier into the space in my garage.  I cheated on the frame construction in that I used 1"x6"s ripped instead of using plywood.  I am a firm believer in using plywood as dimensional lumber, but with the limited amount of material that I needed for this project, I decided to take my chances in finding a couple of boards that didn't resemble firewood.

Like all of my previous layouts, I added caster wheels so I could move the layout around in my garage.  The difference this time is that the casters happen to be connected to a 300lb  tool cabinet.  I bought a cabinet several months ago to store my tools, and liked it so much that I decided to buy another just for trains.  I like the idea of having lots of storage right below the layout.  It's not a Snap On, but it's a nice heavy unit from Harbor Freight.  Although they do sell a lot of cheap tools, their tool boxes are actually made with heavier material than some competitors and very reasonably priced.  To get the top of the layout at an appropriate height, I built a pedestal with 2"x6"s on edge that fits snug in the top rim of the tool box.  When I go to train shows, I will simply lift the layout off the pedestal and load it.

So there you have it.  An unconventional method of layout construction, but practical.  I don't know that I have ever seen this done before, so extra points for originality.








4 comments:

  1. Very cool ideas here! Thanks for sharing, and hope to see more soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT is clever!!!
    Hey! Those tool chests would be awesome candidates for 3D printing!
    Garage supplies are almost nonexistent in N scale....

    Think about it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, I have been thinking about more than just vehicles, such as shop and other details.

      Delete