Thursday, September 1, 2011

More Rolling Stock Weathering

I completed two more boxcars recently and have a couple more that are almost finished.

This BNSF car received a heavy fade coat with an airbrush, hand painted roof, and spots of burnt umber acrylic on the corners of the doors and ends of car.  This car already had reflector stripes.  

This CSX car was given a fade coat, followed by a drybrushing of burnt umber on the sides and ends, as well as the roof.  I added a coat of rust/grimy black with my airbrush along the lower half of the car.  I added FVM medal wheel sets.  The prototype I found close to this photo had not yet received reflector stripes as of early 2011, so I am calling this one finished.  This one may have been overdone.  A little weathering goes along way.  Also a finished car looks very different up close through the lens of a camera versus a few feet away on a layout.


I have several more pieces of rolling stock that I plan to weather over the next few weeks.  Once I am finished with these I plan to move to covered hoppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment