Sunday, September 1, 2013

UP Council Bluffs Sub - More Revisions

My life must be changing, because with as many things as I have going on in my life now, I don't know how I managed to build my Marias Pass in less than 18 months.  I do recall several nights up to and past midnight working on trees.  That said, I know most of my precious hobby time has been spent designing and finishing trucks and trailers, and I continue to neglect the new layout project.  Of course I am the type of person that if an unfinished project becomes stale, or goes too long without proper attention, I lose interest, and sometimes abandon it completely.  My Council Bluffs Sub has become victim of that, and I am already looking at different bench work arrangements.

As you might recall, I had 2 8' table sections built and waiting for final touches before laying out track lines.  I have already dismantled one of the two tables, and I really like how the remaining 8 foot table fits in my garage space.  I had toyed with the idea of a 10x4 foot "L" shaped shelf layout, and wrote about that a couple weeks ago.  Further noodling on this subject has produced yet another idea.  This time it is an 8x4 "L" shaped layout, with a permanent shelf, and enough staging on the backside of the backdrop for a possible scenic'ed space rather than simple hidden staging.

My logic is as follows:

I like the idea of a small simple shelf layout that I could finish in a reasonable amount of time without it becoming stale.  I imagine that my 3d design and printing efforts will continue into the foreseeable future, and I doubt I will have large sums of time to dedicate to a larger layout project.  This space still leaves me enough room for the industries that I had proposed on the original design, but more condensed.  The purpose of this shelf layout is becoming more of a "diorama" where I can showcase my trucks and trailers, and I am putting more emphasis on this modeling aspect as time goes on.

So here is a mock up of an 8x4' "L" shaped shelf layout.  I still plan to maintain a similar track plan as the previous "L" that I posted a couples weeks ago, with the extension for switching.  The lower shelf was added for storage, and additional bench work integrity if I choose to use smaller lumber pieces to keep the overall structure light weight.







No comments:

Post a Comment