This is my first completed boxcar using oils. I gave it a very heavy fade coat with a technique learned from Gary Hinshaw. I really like this technique as it is almost impossible to screw up. I followed the fade with a black wash, then turned to the oils for the rust effects. I used both burnt sienna and burnt umber to create the rust.
The trucks were airbrushed with a mixture of rust and grimy black Polly S acrylic. I added 33" metal wheelsets from Fox Valley Models.
I'm pleased with this first attempt, but learned some valuable lessons that I can apply to the next project. I regret not taking a photo of the original car, but I attached artwork from FVM. Needless to say, the blue on the finished model turned out quite well for this aged and sun-beaten boxcar.