Saturday, March 31, 2012

Weathering with Oils

I recently started a few weathering projects again.  I met a fellow N scale enthusiast at the train show in January, and we exchanged weathering techniques as well as other fascinating N scale information.  He had been trying some different techniques as well, and suggested I try using oils.  Up to this point, my limited experience has included using an airbrush for fading and general grime, etc., and dry-brushing acrylics.  I found a couple tubes of oil paint at a local craft store and tried it out.  I had purchased several Fox Valley Models boxcars at the train show for just a few bucks each and was anxious to get them dirty.

This is my first completed boxcar using oils.  I gave it a very heavy fade coat with a technique learned from Gary Hinshaw.  I really like this technique as it is almost impossible to screw up.  I followed the fade with a black wash, then turned to the oils for the rust effects.  I used both burnt sienna and burnt umber to create the rust.

The trucks were airbrushed with a mixture of rust and grimy black Polly S acrylic.  I added 33" metal wheelsets from Fox Valley Models.

I'm pleased with this first attempt, but learned some valuable lessons that I can apply to the next project.  I regret not taking a photo of the original car, but I attached artwork from FVM.  Needless to say, the blue on the finished model turned out quite well for this aged and sun-beaten boxcar.







3 comments:

  1. That turned out great! I may have to try that technique...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great for your first try. Just like anything it can only get better. Cant wait to see more. I also like to weather everything but have yet to try oils. It will be the next thing I try. Have a look at my blog for my weathering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you please explain your fadding technique for the blue paint?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete