Tuesday, November 12, 2013

3D Printed Kinze 1050 Sof-Tred Grain Cart - My First N Scale Farm Implement

Inspired by this year's harvest, I decided to design a grain cart to roll beside my Wilson grain trailers.  The Kinze 1050 bushel carts are quite common, so I used it as my prototype.  It should also make a nice load once I get a drop deck trailer designed.  My N scale version features a folding auger which can be secured in either the folded or extended position.  This model has 76x50 flotation tires like the prototype, but I also have a the row-crop version with dual tires as well, and a set should be arriving from Shapeways later this week.  I may also design a third version which would feature tracks instead of tires, to round out the 3 options available from Kinze.

Overall I'm happy with how this model turned out.  There was a fair amount of cleaning to get the raw model ready for primer.  I shot a nice thick coat of white primer on one of the wagons tonight, before I snapped these photos.  The other wagon with the folded auger is not yet primed, but dry after the solvent bath.  A nice coat of blue paint, and some white stripes around the top, and this grain cart should be ready for work.  Now I just need to start working on that combine I was thinking about.

This is my first of likely many more farm implements to come.  This addiction to 3d printing is my strongest yet.  I have no idea how far this will go....

 



Here is a good illustration of how I designed the auger to be in either a folded or extended position.  The wagon on the left is unpainted, while the wagon on the right has been primed.  I designed the wagon as a base, separate auger, and separate tires, for easier painting and assembly.



4 comments:

  1. Love the grain cart. We use a Kinze 850.Who makes the 4wd John Deere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Deere tractor is a 9620 made by Athearn. They are hard to find now days, but this along with their 7920 FWA tractor fill a nice void in modern N scale tractors.

      Delete
  2. I agree..They make it hard on us mid-west modelers... lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 3d Printing manufacturer technique system is growing quick in world day by day however we want higher printers to serve our customers with affordable price. We have a tendency to welcome each the Spark platform and the new printer from your website. We’ve already seen many of us, businesses and faculties World Health Organization have had poor experiences with printers and producing. This is often unfortunate for our trade. A reliable and well created printer that has affordable operating prices and smart support is required. Our business is made on providing quality 3d prints at affordable worth points and that we still search for printers that meet our operational and quality print needs. Click here Best 3D printer manufacturer company in China.

    ReplyDelete