The UPS truck arrived late today with one of my new 3D printed models from Shapeways. I haven't done anything with the model yet but wanted to share it on my blog since I'm pretty excited about this one. I have always been a fan of Peterbilt trucks, and wanted an N scale version for myself. While GHQ makes a decent model, I felt that I might be able to design and print my own with a similar level of effort to customizing the GHQ model into what I need.
I have already shown photos of my 22' grain box and have them available for sale through Shapeways currently. Well the photos below illustrate what I had in mind to hold up that box.
This a model designed after a 379 Peterbilt truck. The frame was designed specifically for the grain box. It features a tandem axle, with a third lift axle in the rear. I designed it in the raised position. The single fuel tank is representative of a short haul or farm truck. The battery boxes, air tanks, and cab steps are all part of the frame and add to the integrity of the frame component. The cab is a separate shell for ease of painting and detailing. I designed the air filter canisters as separate details for the same reason. The grill and bumper were designed as a separate component again for that reason. If I want to swap out a custom grill or Texas style bumper for example, I can easily change that isolated piece. Also, the individual pieces should aide in the painting process and provide a much cleaner finish between part lines. The wheel and tire sets are similar to what I am using on my grain trailers. I put the little parts on a spruce for ease of handling.
You will notice that I have 2 cabs, with different style sunshades. This is yet another great feature of model design and 3D printing. I'm excited to get these to the paint shop. My plan is to make multiple configurations of axles, fuel tanks, sleeper options, and other options.
This model is fresh out of the box, so you are seeing it at the same time I am. I will have more feedback to offer once I clean the parts and test fit them together. The raw prints still have the waxy residue on them, which make them difficult to see in photos. Once these are soaked in heptane overnight, they will look like white styrene. I will cover my steps to finish these models in more detail in future postings.
Tell me what you think.