Monday, April 28, 2014

UPS 28' Pup Trailer - Swing and a Miss

Ok, so I had a 28' pup trailer in primer, and was feeling good about my latest 3d print results.  Then I decided to compare my 28' pup with a Trainworx 28' drop frame pup.  I guess size does matter.  I had to go back to my design file and found that I did cheat myself by 6 inches on the trailer height.  Sigh.

Oh well, that is an easy fix, and I can have another one ordered soon.  Anyone need a 13' high UPS trailer?

Overall the quality is great, and the details turned out very well.  I think this design is a winner despite my incorrect dimensions.  The only downside to this trailer is that it is a pricey print.  I made the walls a little thicker to avoid warping, and it increases the cost of the print.  The top is one piece, while the frame is separate much like the Trainworx version.  Since I have to revise my design anyway, I will reduce the wall thickness to see if I can still get a solid model but less volume and cost.  Now that I know I can successfully print a van trailer, a 53' reefer is in the works.  Stay tuned.

I took some photos to illustrate my results:





4 comments:

  1. The trailer looks great John! I can't wait to see it finished. I think a 53' reefer is a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! So, what's "pricey"???
    If I wanted that "short" 28' Pup, how much would it be?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shapeways charges by volume, and since I increased the thickness of the walls on this trailer to reduce warpage, it was about twice the cost of my other trailers that size. I may have gone overboard and will probably reduce the thickness to save on cost.

      Delete
  3. Is the 28' pup on your shapeways page the correct height?

    ReplyDelete