First, this model will be expensive to print, so I tried to reduce the overall volume of the body. To eliminate warping, I added some reinforcements to the inside while trying to minimize material.
Second, based on experience, vertical surfaces with detail can yield varying results from Shapeways. I chose to design the rear door component as a separate piece. This should yield a cleaner print, while making the painting process easier. This idea actually came from my Pete 379/389 grill, as the design is very similar. The door panel has a rim that mates perfectly to the rear opening of the trailer body.
Third, the landing gear and fuel tank will print onto a flat surface that will fit into the underside of the trailer body, where I have included a ledge to aid in locating this detail. There is no reason to guess the location when it can be precisely located within the design.
Fourth, I eliminated the need for a piece of wire for the axles. The suspension component now has axles designed in, exactly like my trucks.
Lastly, I created a sprue to hold the 3 components pictured. My hope is that these pieces will be printed flat, which will yield the best quality prints.
There you have it. A few new design ideas implemented into this model. Time will tell if these will become best practices for me.