Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to you dads out there.  I thought I would take just a couple minutes today and write about a new little project that I have started.

There is a lack of reefer trailers in N scale, and while I have added this to my list of future 3d printing projects, I simply don't have enough time to get to it immediately.  I have a handful of MicroTrains, Atlas, and Deluxe Innovations 48' trailers, and decided to convert some of them to reefer trailers.  BLMA makes a very nice refrigerator unit, and I wanted to take advantage of this ready made detail.  I do plan to design a reefer fuel tank and use Shapeways for this necessary detail, which is a lot smaller project than designing the entire trailer.

I have some refrigerator units on order, and while I wait for them to arrive, I have started painting the trailer bodies.  I want generic white trailers, so I removed the original paint and lettering using a bath of brake fluid. Next came a coat of white primer, and then the aluminum.  I am using common spray cans for this project, and having good results.  I then masked off the top and bottom rails, and painted white again.

Next I will paint the frames, paint details like taillights, add the BLMA chillers, and DOT striping.  These trailers aren't a great match for reefer use, but they should pass for general reefer trailer service.  That is of course until a better alternative is available.


Here's an example of an older 48' reefer trailer that is providing some inspiration for this project.  This is a Great Dane trailer, but not a bad match to the N scale trailers I am using as a starting point.  I'm hoping that a small fleet of trailers with white skins and refrigerator units will reasonably pass for reefer trailers, and add to the overall effect of the Council Bluffs Sub layout.

2 comments:

  1. Those will be right at home on your new layout! How is the layout progress coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately very slow. I am devoting most of my hobby time to trucks, which leaves little time for the layout. Now it is getting hot, so it isn't much fun working in the garage.

    ReplyDelete