Thursday, June 7, 2012

NS 86' Box "Thoroughbred" Progress

I started on two more 86' boxcars tonight.  I had pictured them here a couple weeks ago.  I have a CSXT in the 8 door version, and a NS (SOU markings) in the 8 door version as well.  Both of these cars are dark in color, but well faded in reality, so my fade method and tint mixtures are going to get tested, which is good since I need more practice.  I am nearing completion of the grey NS boxcar that I began awhile back.  I used a heavy dose of chalk on this to bring out the rib detail on this light colored car.  I have since added graffiti and yellow safety striping.  It needs a bit more detail work, and a set of weathered trucks and it will be ready for service.

I will share my progress on the CSXT and SOU versions soon.  I have been shopping for some additional "big ugly's" to add to my collection, as I just can't get enough of these.

One note about the NS thoroughbred version.  This is a Bluford N scale model, which is a Pullman Standard design.  Trainworx makes a different version of the 86' boxcar which follows the Thrall design.  I couldn't find a PS prototype photo with the grey NS paint scheme, only a Thrall version.  So it appears that Bluford took some liberty when adding this to their offering.  Through out my limited research of 86' boxcars in general, it appears that both Bluford and Trainworx added some paint schemes to their offerings that don't actually exist on that specific builder's car.  While this isn't a show stopper for me, I also like to find prototype examples of rollingstock that I weather, so that I can at least replicate the general age, condition, and appearance of the item in a current day fashion.

I will say that I have really enjoyed collecting both versions of 86' boxcars, and plan to add more as time permits.

My weathering steps are as follows:
  • Fade with white tinted mixture
  • Black and dark grey chalk on body
  • Sealed with Microflat (I find that when I airbrush dullcoat over chalk, it leaves a white haze on the model.  Perhaps it is going on either too dry or too heavy.  Dullcoat works well over oils and non-chalk applications, in my experience.)
  • Burnt Sienna oil on roof and body (replicate newer/brighter surface rust)
  • Brush black acrylic around door hinges and detail to replicate grease and grime
  • Graffiti and stripe decals
  • Seal with dullcoat




No comments:

Post a Comment