Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Early Weathering Attempt

I started weathering my rolling stock a couple years ago as time permitted and I wasn't working on a layout project.  I discovered a significant difference between a fresh from the factory train and a nicely weathered train, especially in model railroad photography.  I mainly use an airbrush to fade and dirty my models and like the results I am getting so far, and haven't felt the need to try other techniques just yet.

Here is one of my first attempts of weathering on an Atlas coalveyor.  I started with a fade coat using a very diluted light grey, followed by light coats of rail brown and grimy black.  I have since weathered several of my coal hoppers and wrote an article about my experience in the Mar/Apr 2010 N Scale Railroading.

No comments:

Post a Comment